Do I need to apply for EVUS if I already have a Visa?

As of November 29, 2016 enrolling with the EVUS is mandatory under U.S. Immigration law if you hold a People’s Republic of China Passport and have a U.S. visitor Visa B1, B2 or a combined B1/B2.

We would like to make the distinction between an EVUS and a Visa. The EVUS or commonly called the American EVUS visa update is in fact not a visa. Please note that an EVUS does not meet legal or regulatory requirements to serve as a U.S. Visa. All travelers, including children, who want to travel to the United States must posses a valid visitor visa in addition to the EVUS.

Currently, nationals of China are requested to have an EVUS before traveling to the USA. This online program is likely to expand and impact other countries like Venezuela, Colombia, Mexico and more.

If you hold any other kind of Visa that is not a 10-year B1, B2, or B1/B2 you are not required to apply for an EVUS.

Enrolling with the EVUS is fairly simple. You will need a valid passport and a valid 10-year B1, B2 or the combined B1/B2 visa. During your enrollment you must provide your personal details and document information. As part of the process, applicants must also answer a series of questions. All information is private and secure.

Once you begin the process you will be assigned an enrollment number that will serve you to check your status. Most applications take up to 20 minutes, in some cases however, the status might be set to pending for a longer period. In any case it is strongly recommended to participate in this online program at least 72-hours before departure to the United States.

To clarify, even if you are a B1, B2 or B1/B2 visa holder, you must enroll with the EVUS. Having a visitor visa does not exempt you from this process. Without the Electronic Visa Update System you will be denied entry to the United States.

Previous Post Next Post

By using our website you accept our Cookies Policy. Click here to know more. I agree