Do I Need an EVUS if I’m Only in Transit Through the U.S.?

Do I Need an EVUS if I’m Only in Transit Through the U.S.?

If you are a Chinese national and you will be in transit through the United States on your way to another country, you have to enroll with EVUS. This migratory requirement was put in place on November 29th, 2016. Registration with EVUS is mandatory for all Chinese citizens traveling to the United States. Even if the traveler is not going to stay in the U.S., it is required that he or she obtains an approved EVUS before their trip.

Citizens and nationals of the People’s Republic of China (PRC) who have a 10-year U.S. visitor visa B1, B2 or a combination of the two are required to register online with the EVUS visa system if they are going to travel to the United States. Failure to complete the registration will result in denied entry into the country.

EVUS stands for Electronic Visa Update System and it was created to facilitate travel to the United States. At the same time it was designed to improve national security. The data provided by the applicants is compared against an immigration database to ensure that all those who travel to the U.S. have been properly screened.

Applying for EVUS is a fairly simple process as long as the applicant has all the required documentation to do so. If you are a citizen of China, you have a valid Chinese passport and a 10-year visa class B1, B2 or B1/B2 and you are going to enter U.S. soil you can easily register online.

The application can take up to 20 minutes to fill in. In order to complete it, the applicantwill need to:

  1. Fill out the application form, which has four main sections in which the traveler has to provide basic biographical details, travel and contact information and answer eight general questions
  2. Applicants must also have a valid credit or debit card to pay for the application fee
  3. The applicant will also need to provide a current email address to receive their EVUS.

Once approved, the EVUS is valid for two consecutive years and multiple trips.

It is strongly advised that travelers enroll at least 72 hours before their time of departure. Though most applications are approved within minutes, some cases might take longer to evaluate. The approved EVUS visa will be sent to the applicant’s email address.

Transiting through the U.S.: things to know

All international travelers transiting through the U.S. are expected to carry a valid passport and a valid visa unless they’re exempt from this requirement. Those travelers from countries participating in the Visa Waiver program should have an approved ESTA. Currently, only Chinese citizens are expected to have an approved EVUS visa registration to enter the United States. However, the EVUS visa program is expected to impact more countries in the coming years.

Millions of people enter the United States daily. Each person who arrives at a port of entry in the U.S. will be subject to inspection by Customs and Border Protection officers. This is in compliance with immigration, customs and agriculture regulations.

Travelers can carry with them as much cash as they wish. However, amounts larger than 10,000 should be declared to the Customs Border Protection (CBP) using a specific form. It is recommended to follow the immigration rules as punishments can be severe.

All people traveling to the U.S. should also note that there are specific products and materials that are not allowed. These products are mostly those that could affect public safety, the American people and animal and plant life. Examples of these restricted products are firearms, animal products, certain fruits and vegetables, drugs, etc.

Act responsibly during your travels, carry proper documentation with you and make sure that you comply with all the requisites established by the United States.

Previous Post Next Post

By using our website you accept our Cookies Policy. Click here to know more. I agree