How Does EVUS Affect Travelers from Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macau?

How Does EVUS Affect Travelers from Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macau?

The Electronic Visa Update System (EVUS) is a form of travel authorization introduced by the U.S. authorities in November 2016. At the moment, only citizens with passports from the People’s Republic of China (PRC) are required to obtain an EVUS registration before traveling to the U.S.

Citizens with passports issued by Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Macau do not need to register with EVUS. However, if someone is living in Hong Kong, Taiwan, or Macau, but has a Chinese (PRC) passport, then it is necessary to enroll. The application is simple and it only takes a matter of minutes.

Citizens of Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Macau need to apply for a B1/B2 US visa regardless before heading to the States. Those with PRC passports need to enroll with EVUS in addition to this.

EVUS for residents of Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Macau with Chinese passports

Chinese passport holders living in Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Macau can register with EVUS by completing the online EVUS form. It involves answering some basic questions and can be completed at any time.

Applicants must enter personal information such as:

  • Name
  • Address
  • Date of birth
  • Passport details
  • Information about their employment history
  • Details of your B1/B2 visa.

The EVUS application is straightforward and quick to complete. It should take no longer than 20 minutes to process, though in rare cases it may take more time. Travelers should apply for EVUS online at least 72 hours before traveling to the U.S. to allow for potential delays. It is important to be as accurate as possible when entering information, as any incomplete or incorrect information could lead to the application being rejected.

EVUS visa registration validity

An EVUS visa registration is valid for a period of two years. However EVUS is attached to the holder’s passport and their B1/B2 visa - if either of these expires, the EVUS visa does too.

In this case, it necessary to apply for a new EVUS by completing another online application.

The EVUS registration allows for multiple entries into the U.S. The maximum permitted length of each stay depends upon the duration stated on the B1/B2 visa which is normally a maximum of 90 days per trip.

B1/B2 visa for citizens of Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Macau

Citizens of Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Macau need a B1/B2 visa (or combination B1/B2 visa) to travel to the U.S. with EVUS. These visas are temporary nonimmigrant visas that are designed for different purposes.

  • B1 Business Visa: For business reasons such as business conventions, seminars, business meetings, negotiations, and buying or selling estates.
  • B2 Tourist Visa: For tourism, leisure or short-term medical treatment. This includes visiting family or friends and participating in amateur, cultural events such as music and sports events.
  • B1/B2 Combination Visa: For people traveling to the U.S. for a mixture of reasons.

Applicants need to first complete a Form DS-160 (Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application). It may also be necessary to attend an interview at a U.S. embassy or consulate.

Citizens with a Chinese passport need an EVUS registration in addition to the B1/B2 visa. To apply for EVUS it is necessary to have a PRC passport and a valid B1/B2 visa.

Previous Post Next Post

By using our website you accept our Cookies Policy. Click here to know more. I agree