Do citizens of Hong Kong need to enroll with EVUS?

Do citizens of Hong Kong need to enroll with EVUS?

At the moment, only citizens with passports from the People’s Republic of China (PRC) need to enroll with EVUS before going to the United States. Citizens of Hong Kong, who have a HKSAR (Hong Kong Special Administrative Region) passport, do not need to register with EVUS.

However, if someone is living in Hong Kong (HKSAR) but has a Chinese (PRC) passport, then it is necessary to enroll. Thankfully, registering with EVUS from Hong Kong is simple and it only takes a matter of minutes.

Apply EVUS

Both PRC citizens and HKSAR citizens need to apply for a B1, B2, or combination B1/B2 visa regardless. Those with PRC passports need to enroll with EVUS in addition to this.

How do Hong Kong residents with Chinese passports enroll with EVUS?

Chinese passport holders living in Hong Kong can enroll with EVUS by completing the online EVUS form. It only takes a matter of minutes to complete but applicants should apply at least 72 hours before traveling to the US.

Completing the form requires applicants to enter a range of information including their full name, date of birth, passport details, B1/B2 visa information, and employment data.

How long is an EVUS registration for Hong Kong citizens valid for?

Once an EVUS application has been approved, it is valid for a two-period and can be used to enter the USA multiple times. However, an EVUS registration cannot be transferred between passports, or between B1/B2 visas.

This means that if a PRC passport or a B1/B2 visa expires before this two-year period, the EVUS registration will no longer be valid. It would be necessary to reapply for EVUS before traveling to the US.

If an EVUS registration expires while you are in the US you can leave the country without problems. It only needs to be valid on arrival.

Do citizens of Hong Kong need a B1/B2 visa?

Yes, HKSAR citizens need a B1/B2 visa to travel to the US. These visas are temporary nonimmigrant visas which are designed for different purposes. They are normally valid for 10 year periods.

  • B1 Business Visa: For travelers going to the US for business reasons such as a business convention, seminar, business meeting, negotiations, and buying or selling an estate.
  • B2 Tourist Visa: For travelers visiting the US for tourism, leisure or short-term medical treatment. This includes visiting family or friends and participating in amateur music and sports events.
  • B1/B2 Combination Visa: For people who are going to the US for both business and tourism.

The application process is much longer in comparison to an EVUS registration. Applicants need to firstly complete an Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application (Form DS-160). It may also be necessary to attend a face-to-face interview at a US embassy or consulate.

Citizens with a Chinese passport need an EVUS visa update in addition to the B1/B2 visa. To apply for EVUS it is necessary to have a PRC passport and a valid B1/B2 visa.

Previous Post Next Post

By using our website you accept our Cookies Policy. Click here to know more. I agree