Differences between EVUS and a 10-year U.S. Visa

Differences between EVUS and a 10-year U.S. Visa

Before setting off for the U.S., it is essential that travelers have the correct travel documentation. If not, visitors may be refused entry into the country. There are many different types of U.S. visas and this can be a cause of confusion.

In addition, Chinese travelers to the U.S. now need to enroll with EVUS which has added another layer of bureaucracy. However, it is not very complicated to complete. The EVUS application only takes a matter of minutes to fill out.

Chinese travelers need to obtain a U.S. visa and enroll with EVUS before traveling to the U.S. This article will explain the difference between EVUS and 10-year U.S. visas and clarify which documentation Chinese travelers need to obtain.

What is a 10-year visa for the USA?

A 10-year visitor visa for the USA is a B1 or B2 tourist visa which is valid for 10 years and allows multiple entries into the U.S. for periods of no longer than six months.

Non-immigrant visas are classified as ‘B1’(if entering for business purposes) or ‘B2’ (if entering for tourism or other non-business reasons). It is also possible to obtain a combination B1/B2 visa the visitor is entering for mixed reasons.

Not all B1 and B2 visas are ‘10-year visas’. Ten years is the maximum validity for B1 and B2 visas, the minimum is one month. The period of stay also varies from case-to-case.

Chinese travelers need to obtain a USA tourist visa (either B1, B2, or combination visa) to be able to enter the USA. In addition, they need to enroll with EVUS.

What is EVUS?

EVUS (Electronic Visa Update System) is an online system aimed at strengthening U.S. security and border control. Chinese travelers need to enroll with EVUS before heading to the U.S.

Apply for EVUS

An EVUS travel authorization is valid for two years. However, if a traveler’s passport or B1/B2 visa expires before the EVUS authorization, it is necessary to re-enroll with EVUS.

EVUS was introduced in 2016. At the moment only citizens from the People’s Republic of China, or citizens from Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan who are holding a valid passport of People's Republic of China, need to enroll though it is expected that EVUS will expand and become a requirement for more nationalities.

EVUS is not a visa, though it is necessary to enroll before entering the U.S. Chinese travelers to the U.S. need to obtain a 10-year B1/B2 visa as well.

How do I enroll with EVUS?

Chinese citizens can enroll with EVUS at any time. However, it is recommended to complete the registration at least 72 hours before traveling to allow time for any complications.

Applicants completing the EVUS form must answer a series of questions and enter the necessary information. It is essential to complete every section of the form and to enter information accurately. If not the application could be rejected.

The application form will require travelers to enter a range of information such as name, address, date of birth, passport details, visa information, and travel plans. There are also some security-related questions.

Once the application has been completed, applicants receive an individual enrollment number which they can use to check the status of the application. When it has been approved, the EVUS travel authorization is sent via email.

Previous Post Next Post

By using our website you accept our Cookies Policy. Click here to know more. I agree